Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Language

Language evolves, and is continuing to evolve today. Over a long period of time, the English language has evolved from Old English and has been infused from other languages. The society is growing and changing, and there are a lot of new ideas and with those ideas, our language will also change. What I mean by this is that any time there is a new invention a name is come up for it. These new words can arise accidentally, or inevitably and people just use them from there. A lot of people today use slang, and educators may worry that because of the use of slang, language is becoming more informal.

As for myself, I do feel like my language changes, especially when I‘m around different groups of people. When I’m around my friends, I find myself using more slang, but I don’t intentionally do it. Throughout the years, slang has been used much more, and being exposed to it, you start to pick it up. As I have gotten older, my vocabulary has increased and because it has increased there are much more word choices, and hopefully that will occur with everyone throughout life.

Everyday, people say new words, and they soon become popular to say. This will continue to happen and language will change, but I hope it doesn’t change too much because our language might become too informal.

No comments: